HAGE - NATUR - URTER - HÅNDARBEID - HISTORIE - MYTOLOGI
GARDENING - NATURE - HERBS - CRAFTING - HISTORY - MYTHOLOGY

Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

My first fermentation dyes.


Nå har jeg kommet i gang med å eksperimentere med gjæringsfarging, som jeg har lært av Marylene med bloggen Shades of Lynx
Mine to første farginger er helt ferdige, og jeg er halvveis på den tredje.


I have now started experimenting with fermentation dyes, using the tecknique Marylene writes about on her blog Shades of Lynx.
My first two dyes are finished, and I am working on the third.



 Her har jeg laget to separate fargebad av det avsilte gjæringsbrygget jeg laget av malurt fra hagen min, et surt og et basisk.
(Det sure badet stinker ganske ille, det basiske er ikke noe problem).


Here are two separate dye baths made from the strained wormwood fermentation I made a little while ago, one is acidic and one is alkaline.
(The asidic dye bath is rather smelly, while the alkaline is no problem).




 Og her er første farging av 50 gram ullgarn, først etter å ha ligget i det sure fargebadet og deretter i det basiske. Fargen trer mer og mer frem ettersom garnet tørker.

This is the first skein of wool (50 grams), first after soaking in the asidic dye and then after soaking in the alkaline dye bath. The colour developes as the yarn dries. 


 Her er hhv farging av hespe to og en i hvert sitt fargebad.
Jeg har brukt to ulike garntyper for å se om det vil gi ulikt resultat.


Here are skeins number two and number one in the dye baths.
I used two different yarn qualities to see whether the results would be different or similar.



 Og her henger hhv farging tre og to til tørk.
Gjæringsfarging er ikke gjort i en fei... I tredje forsøk prøvde jeg med 100 gram garn for å få farget mer på en gang. I tillegg lot jeg hespene ligge for kort tid i fargebadet med det resultatet at fargen ble for blek, så jeg må gjenta hele prosessen.

Jeg har funnet ut at gjæringsfarging er en fin måte å lære tålmodighet på :)


And here are dyes number three and two drying.
Fermentation dyeing can not be done in a hurry... On my third dye I decided to try with 100 grams of yarn to dye more at the same time. I also let the skeins soak for too short time in the dye baths, resulting in a very pale colour, and the whole prosess now has to be repeated.

I have discovered that fermentation dyeing is a good way to learn patience :)




Resultatet av farging en og to.
Forskjellig garnkvalitet viste seg å gi forskjellige farger, gyllen og rosa.
Hespene er blitt vasket med mildt vaskemiddel, og fargen er helt festet.
Fine farger :)


The result of dyes one and two.
Different yarn quality showed to give different shades,  golden and pink.
The skeins have been washed, and the colours are fast.
Beautiful colours :)



5 comments:

Emelie said...

Jättefina färger! Det ser rätt coolt ut när garnet ligger och drar i burkarna också - som något man skulle kunna använda som dekoration till Halloween ;)
Ha det fint! :)

Kristín Hrund said...

I´ve read your post over and over again - it´s so interesting. Your colours are really beautiful and worth waiting for :-) I would love to try this out too some time!

Yael said...

Hilde this again is so wonderful! I love how you experiment, and I am sure you jot it all down now for further reference! The colors indeed are lovely and soft! :-)

Marylene said...

I'm glad it worked out well. I think the colours are more or less the same as the ones I obtained too. It's to bad the weather is cooling down now.
Thanks for sharing :)

Hilde said...

Emelie: Takk for hyggelig kommentar. Godt sett, krukkene kunne faktisk vært Halloween dekorasjoner, det hadde jeg ikke tenkt på :) Men jeg så Halloween dekorasjoner av lignende krukker med farget vann og en hel blomkål i, som nok skulle forstille hjerner på glass :-D
Ha det fint du også!

Kristin: Thank you, and I'm so glad you liked the post :) I really enjoyed learning and trying out this dye tecknique, and I was very pleased with the results. The third dye was finished today, and it came out nicely. I have a fourth dye in the making, as hopefully there is some colour left in the jars. I will definately do it again next summer with more plants, to learn more.

Yael: I'm working on it :) Thanks for your sweet words!

Marylene: I really enjoyed this fermentation dyeing, and I'm so glad I gave it a try. I learned a lot from this :) Will definately do it again next summer, and I am planning to stock up on containers and large jars during winter so I can start up as soon as the dye plants are to be found in nature in early summer :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...